Sunday, September 11, 2011

Priorities

I just love it when friends, family, and people in general feel the need to tell you everything you SHOULD do, and everything you OUGHT, or NEED to do, yet never show up, or offer support when you get ready to DO whatever the hell it it they advised you to do. That being said, I'm discovering that people don't like change. They don't like change in their lives, or in anyone else's, especially close friends, and family, and while I can appreciate that, I'm also taken aback at often uncalled for reactions to your decisions that may not suit their needs with no cosideration for what's best for you.

I've recently made the decision to sell my house. The home I've lived in off and on for 37 years. The house I grew up in. The house I shared with my beloved husband, the house that thousands of happy memories are built around, and the house that shares the deepest sorrows of my 45 years. It was not an easy decision, as it creates the need to find my sweet, loyal old Lab, Waylon a new, loving home, and the stress of sorting through 37 years of accumulated crap. I've already told the real estate agent that the big shed in the very back goes with the property as is,  along with Lord knows what kind of junk is in it, possibly including Sasquatch and his brethren. But, in spite of the not so good aspects of selling my home, I"m lookig forward to a new start, in a smaller, more manageable place, with less worry and up keep.

What has suddenly caused me to make this major life altering decision, you ask?  Well, in all honesty, I've been thinking about it since Moe died 17 months ago, but I didn't want to make any decisions based on emotions, so I waited until enough time passed to make a more rational, and practical decision. Once again, I'll be quite honest, and tell you the main reason I'm selling it because I'm tired. I'm tired of the worry and stress of upkeep, and I don't have the financial resources to make major repairs if they are ever needed. At certain stages in life we have to re-evaluate our priorities, and look at life from a different perspective.  So far, I've been blessed and lucky that nothing has broken, or required repairs that cost more than a few hundred bucks, and even that is a stretch for me. I've been truly blessed with genuine friends, and family who never hesitated to step up when I needed a new washer, or help with monetary issues beyond my paltry State pay check. Thus, a real, and major reason I'm putting a for sale sign out front.... if it ain't broke don't fix it, and I'm making the fact that nothing is broken a top priority.

So far, I've really gotten alot of support from those I hold dear, and whose opinions, and insights I actually merit some value. Those are the folks who know me, love me, and have certainly been true to me, especially during this past grief filled year. Some of us have grieved together, others have just been beside me ready to be there when I needed them. They are truly why I've made living here a priority, and even though I'll likely end up 30 minutes away in Baton Rouge, my folks here in Zachary will always be "home" to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment